Representation Agreement Forms
Which forms are right for me?
There are two broad categories of Representation Agreement:
Section 9 Representation Agreement (RA9): Proactive planning for future support with health care and personal care
- For adults who fit the traditional definition of capability; the adult understands the nature and effect of the document at the time of making it. This definition applies to: making a contract, making types of power of attorney, making a Will.
Section 7 Representation Agreement (RA7): For adults whose mental capability to understand is in question
- A more inclusive definition of capability – an adult may make Representation Agreement with some or all four authorities from section 7, even if the adult’s cognitive capability to ‘understand’ is in question. An RA7 can cover four authorities: minor and major health care, personal care matters, legal matters and routine management of financial affairs.
For all Representation Agreements:
You must be 19 years of age or older to make a Representation Agreement in BC.
A medical assessment or legal professional is not a requirement under the law for making any type of Representation Agreement.
Section 7 Representation Agreement (RA7) Forms
The following is for adults with cognitive difficulties, maybe because of a disability at birth or in childhood (special needs) or due to advanced dementia, brain injury from a stroke or fall, or other condition.Download Version 1: Basic RA7ALL
- The Basic RA7ALL is a Section 7 Representation Agreement that includes all four authorities (health care, personal, legal, financial). Some Representation Agreements (see below) may only authorize the representative to help with health care or personal care matters. Others still, only legal and financial matters.
- Is a legal authority already in place for the adult’s finances? This Section 7 Representation Agreement includes authorities for health care and personal care only.
- Is a legal authority already in place for the adult’s health care matters? This Section 7 Representation Agreement includes authorities for financial and legal matters only.
Section 9 Representation Agreement (RA9) Forms
The following is for adults who want to make a plan for future help with health care and personal care decision-making while they are able to understand, in case they become incapable in the future due to injury or illness.Download Basic Section 9 Representation Agreement (RA9)
NOTE: The RA9 does not include financial authorities. Most adults on the traditional capability path will make an Enduring Power of Attorney to cover financial and legal matters.
© 2023 Nidus Personal Planning Resource Centre. All rights reserved.