Personal Care and Facility Admission

Download PDF version

Personal Care and Facility Admission

Jump to:   Overview      Forms      Examples      FAQs   •   Related Information

Jump to:   Overview   Forms
Examples    FAQs   Related Info

This website is from Nidus, a BC non-profit society. We provide free information to: help British Columbians plan for the future, support self-determination, and provide equitable access to essential resources and benefits.

Legally reviewed. Last update made in June 2023.

What is Personal Care?

Personal care is an area of authority that can only be covered in a Representation Agreement.

Personal care under an Section 7 Representation Agreement or an Section 9 Representation Agreement can include:

  • shelter or living arrangements (where you live and with whom) – see below for specifics on specific procedures for admission to certain care facilities, like long-term care;
  • assessment and planning for support or services;
  • arranging and managing support or services, including staff who are paid privately to provide care;
  • diet preferences;
  • exercise;
  • spiritual matters;
  • care of pets;
  • personal safety and contact with others;
  • participation in activities.

You can authorize your representative to assist you with decisions about these matters in the event you need help speaking up for yourself due to the challenges that can come with aging as well as in case of illness, injury or disability. Decisions about these and similar issues can affect your quality-of-life; choose a representative you trust and who knows you.

A Representation Agreement under section 9 (RA9) can cover additional personal care matters.

What about the law on consent for admission to BC care facilities?

The BC Ministry of Health implemented legislation governing ‘Consent to Care Facility Admission’ on November 4, 2019.

Click the following link to view the Nidus fact sheet on Consent for Admission to Care Facility in BC

Nidus has received some feedback about the new legislation and procedures – you can also take your questions or concerns to your MLA and BC government Cabinet Ministers.

RA (and related) Forms

Nidus provides both RA7 and RA9 forms.

  • See RA Forms
  • See Related Forms: Confirmation of Substitution Form; Resigning as a Representative or Alternate; Resigning as a Monitor; Revoking RA


Securely register a copy of your RA with the Nidus Registry, a BC-based centralized digital repository with 24/7 access. Ensure you are prepared for a health crisis or other emergency.

community organizations - Nidus

Under Construction

Coming Soon

Personal Care and Facility Admission FAQs

Coming Soon

Coming Soon


Personal Planning

Representation Agreements

Section 7 Representation Agreement

Section 9 Representation Agreement

Who has legal authority for financial matters? (PDF)

Sign up for newsletter

Stay updated on the latest developments, resources, and more.

Help us continue our important work in the community.

Nidus is a registered Canadian charity BN 889408332RR0001.

© 2024 Nidus Personal Planning Resource Centre. All rights reserved.